Bereavement | Bolt Burdon Kemp Bereavement | Bolt Burdon Kemp

Find your Lawyer

Free call back
Contact us
Round the clock support
Won't shy away from difficult cases
Committed to swiftly progressing claims


Back to Family

Losing a loved one is an incredibly difficult process for anyone to have to go through. Losing a loved one whilst they were serving in the armed forces comes with its own particular challenges which can complicate the grieving process.


If you have suffered a bereavement there are a number of charities which offer support specifically for military families.

Cruse Bereavement Care


Winston’s Wish

Army Families Federation

Where to turn to for support when a service person or veteran dies

There is a lot of information available on the government’s website.

The Joint Casualty and Compassionate Centre (JCCC) manages and co-ordinate practical needs following the death of a person in service. More information about their role can be found here.

It can be very overwhelming to deal with all of the practical considerations so it is important to get practical help and support, which is available through Veterans Welfare Service and Veterans’ Gateway.

Financial support

There are specific benefits which will be paid when your loved one’s death has happened whilst they were still serving, or within 7 years of their service ending.

Survivor’s Guaranteed Income Payment (SGIP)

SGIP is paid monthly for life to an eligible partner- that is someone who was in a relationship with the deceased and who was financially dependent or interdependent on the deceased.

Child Payments

Child payments is a monthly income paid to the deceased’s child, adopted child or any other child who was financially dependent on them and under 18 at the time of death.

Bereavement Grant

A Bereavement Grant is payable as a tax free lump sum to an eligible partner or children.

How do I make a claim?

In the event of a death in service your family will be supported by Visiting Officers and Veterans Welfare Service Managers. Veterans UK will automatically consider if any benefits are payable.

You will be able to find more information here.

Pension – Dependant’s Benefits

In the event of a death in service, and provided you meet the eligibility criteria (2 years of qualifying service), your spouse, civil partner or eligible partner will receive an immediate pension paid for life and a tax-free lump sum.

If you leave the armed forces with a deferred pension and die before this starts being paid your spouse, civil partner or eligible partner will receive an immediate pension paid for life and a tax-free lump sum.

You can find more information about the MoD’s pension schemes here and for advice you should contact Veterans UK.

Helping with the costs of education

There may be funding available for higher education through the Armed Forces Bereavement Scholarship Scheme.

The Armed Forces Education Trust provides grants, which families may be eligible to apply for.

Other help available

We’re here to help you.

Want to talk to one of our experienced lawyers? We can call when it suits you for a no-obligation, strictly confidential chat.

Your browser is out of date. Please update your browser.

This site (and many others) provides a limited experience on unsupported browsers and not all functionality will work correctly or look its best.